top of page

Preliminary Excavations Reports

Tel el-Qedah, the Arabic name of Hazor, was first identified with biblical Hazor by J.L. Porter in 1875. In 1928, the British archaeologist, J. Garstang, conducted a limited excavation at the site.

Large-scale excavations were conducted at Hazor was during 1955-58, and 1968-69 by a team led by the late Yigael Yadin. These excavations were conducted on behalf of the Hebrew University, supported by funding from the Rothschild Foundation. The 15 areas excavated in various parts of this vast site revealed 21 superimposed cities containing a wealth of relics from biblical Hazor, including temples, fortifications and a huge water system.

bottom of page